Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: oops - I forgot to mention ... (a quick question)

>> How can you rip from the DD part of a DVD-A ?
Here's how I do it. Remember that only material that is in the DVD-V portion of a DVD-A disc is rippable. It took me awhile to work this out (especially figuring out which programs to use), but now using the programs mentioned below I can extract and save/split the DD material of a disc in about half an hour - plan it taking longer your first time, especially if you've never ripped a dvd.

1. Rip the DVD-V portion into VOB files. I use "smartripper" (go to doom9.org, which also goes into more detail about ripping DVDs). When in smartripper, you can highlight the various files in the DVD-V portion and check the 'stream processing' tab to see its contents (e.g., 2.0ac-3 , 5.1ac-3 etc...). But if your just starting out, I recommend ripping using the 'backup' button so that everything (in the v portion) is ripped into the vob files.

2. Now extract (demux) the DD from the vob files using something like DVD2AVI. This results in a big ac3 (DD) file.

3. If you'd like to split the file into its individual songs, use something like BeSPlit.

4. At this point, you have ac3 files. If you have a creative card, you should be able to play back ac3 files with creative's player. Otherwise, there's probably other ac3 players - maybe something like PDVD or WinDVD might be able to handle it. If not, you could skip the demux part and just play back the vob file(s) with PDVD or WinDVD which have no problem with DD that's in a vob file.

If there's interest and its not considered inappropriate here, next time I do this I can copy all my steps and post them.

>> Can you do it with any sound card?
Sure, the ripping is independent of the soundcard. For playback of multichannel ac3 files you'll want a multichannel soundcard card with a software player that can handle ac3 files. If your soundcard is hooked up to your receiver/processor via the digital (S/PDIF) connection, you'll want to leave the audio in VOB files instead of demuxing them to ac3 files, and play back the vob files with WinDVD or PDVD (and those players should be set for S/PDIF output).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.