Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

That's interesting...

because my perception is that it's easier to find straight ahead bop or hard bop sessions than the more experimental stuff. I usually see most of the live music I catch in either SF or NYC, and I can think of quite a few places that don't (or won't) delve into the avant garde/free/experimental jazz at all or with any regularity. I've recently been spending a lot of time in my hometown of Chicago taking some art history classes at the UofC and the Art Institute, and even though Chicago has a reputation as being a hotbed for that experimental/electronic/"freaky" jazz like Tortoise, Chicago Underground Duo/Trio/Quarter, etc., I would say it is much easier to find straight ahead bop or hard bop sessions on any given night. Perhaps it's just the scene you're more aware of because of the band you're in?

As far as which contemporary hard bop is worth checking, there was a thread recently in the Music forum about current tenor and alto sax players. I've got my own recommendations, but you should probably move this discussion over to that forum because it doesn't have much to do with hi rez. Plus you'll probably get a lot more answers over there than here on that topic.

Where does your band play? Maybe I can check it out sometime.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.