Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Why I take a strong stand on this issue.

I love Joni's latest album. The fact that I may never get to hear what the producer has so masterfully created in the DSD mix evokes both anger and sorrow. The fact that the politics of Warner and most of the other large labels is trying to sideline SACD out of the same disdain for the consumer which has resulted in the SDMI standards leaves me with one response: I will not support those efforts. SACD offers the only approach to a new format that is not driven out of the fear and distrust which is the hallmark of the large label's relationship with their consumers.

Everywhere I look the entertainment giants are applying pressure. In 1998 it was the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (which by the way contains sections which are a direct infringement of the fundamental right of free speech!) Point to a DeCSS site and you're in front of the courts. Create a jig to eliminate the watermark, and you could end up in jail. You think I have been on a soapbox before: You ain't seen nothing.

DVD-A is the attempt by the labels to introduce a replacement for CD to protect copyright. That is the sole raison d'etre of the promotion of the new format by their ilk. They will rely on a technology (watermarking) to protect their assets, and when that technology is shown to be easily defeatable they will rely on the state to protect their interest by silencing all who would even deign to discuss the technological weakness. (For example of this, consider that Professor Felten and his team, who reported their ability to break the Verance watermarks have been effectively gagged from discussing it by the DMCA.)

I have a serious bone to pick with respect to DVD-A and it extends beyond the obvious technical deficiencies. The attempts by copyright holder's to stifle free expression of ideas to protect their assets sickens me.

Be aware, and use that awareness to make informed decisions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Why I take a strong stand on this issue. - Nicholas Fulford 21:19:08 03/02/01 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.