Headphone Heights

If you want good imaging/soundstaging in cans that can also rock...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Headphone Heights ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

...I'd probably recommend the T-1. They'll soundstage as well or better than anything else on your list and they'll do all genres of music almost equally well. For your needs, I'd look for the original version of the T-1 as the second and latest version is slightly less of a rocker's headphone and more of a classical-lover's headphone, tonally speaking.

Grado RS-1s really rock, but they are not the most expansive of soundstagers. Also, they are the only pair of supra-aural (over-the ear) headphones on your list - so unless you definitely prefer that style, you'd best stay away.

The Sennheisers and the AKGs are both very decent soundstagers but both of them seem like classical/jazz specialty headphones, at least to to my ears. Not the best cans for rockers, IMO.

The Hifimans would probably be my second choice for your needs, after the T-1s. Good overall performers. On the downside, planar headphones are significantly heavier and possibly less comfortable than some of the other cans on your list.

Edits: 02/25/16   02/25/16

Follow Ups: