Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Comfort first closed over the ear

This is a difficult question and I think that a couple of considerations other than just comfort need to be accounted for.

You want closed headphones. May I ask what circumstances they will be used in, particularly whether they are for domestic use in a room with people doing other things whom you don't want to disturb (or have them disturb you) and/or is it for travel? How good does the sound isolation need to be? Note many closed headphones provide hardly any additional isolation compared to open cans. In fact quite a few headphones touted as closed are only partially closed as they have ports. Would it be better for you to consider noise cancelling headphones?

Another important thing to consider is how you intend to drive them. Would choosing a pair that need a proper headphone amplifier be OK or would you be using them driven from, say, the headphone socket on a laptop or phone? If so have you considered adding a dongle DAC/amp?

Finally there is that question of comfort. Unfortunately there is no guarantee that a headphone providing great comfort for one person would be suitable for another. It all depends upon the size of your head and pinnae.So only a generalised expectation of comfort can be given. Unfortunately closed 'phones can be less comfortable then open ones due to the additional weight and bulk of the earcups.

I would be grateful if you could expand a bit at least on the first two points above. Given your response I have one contender in mind.

"We need less, but better" - Dieter Rams

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.