Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Headphones for older mac integrated

Your 600's are very smooth... and can come across as dull, especially if you're used to cans with more prominent mids, like Grados. The 600's are really good, and benefit from the right amp. McIntosh never published any specs for the headphone circuit, and don't even mention it in the service manual, so I can't comment on its suitability. It might make sense to find an amp that can bring out their best - they're worth it.

The Bottlehead Crack amp is designed for high-impedance headphones, and can make them sing. It's a single-ended triode, output transformer-less design built around the 6080/5998/421-A dual triode. It goes for $300-415 depending on options, and is an easy assemble-it-yourself kit. It's heaven on my HD800 cans. I've added the Speedball constant-current power-supply upgrade to mine, along with cloth-insulated silver wire approved by the guru on the mount, special electrolytics, a resistor-ladder volume control, and a Corda crossfeed circuit to mine. (Thanks to Meier Audio for publishing the schematic for that.) Note that the Crack is designed for high-impedance headphones only, and the Speedball add-on requires some precision soldering. Bottlehead and its very active user base provide outstanding support.

WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.