Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: How Competitive Are The Stax Lambda Pro With SRM-1 MK2 Amp?

So the Stax arrived the other day, and I have had a chance to get them powered up and get a good listen to them after 24 hours of being plugged in.

A couple of observations to make when I was unpacking. This amp is big, bigger than I thought it would be. While not terribly wide at 6 inches, and only 3.5 inches tall, but its long at 14 inches Takes up a bit of space. Also the headphones are lighter than I thought they would be, and even though they are bulky looking they are very comfortable. To achieve that light weight the framework is pretty sparse, and these are phones you want to treat with care and respect. They won't fare well with careless handling.

Now as far as the sound goes, they are gorgeous. My other phones are a pair of Focal Stellia, and while I like them, these are more natural and holistic sounding. Very spacious, no colorations to speak of, very precise imaging, and what is really amazing is the quality and output of the bass. These phones can hit some serious SPL, they will get louder than any sane person needs.

A common line of thought is that modern headphones have advanced in terms of sound quality of vintage ones, and in most cases this would be right. But not in this case. I am not sure what it takes to better the upper tier Stax headphones, but I do think it is going to cost a suitcase full of money to achieve this. These are going to be long term keepers for me. Actually the Stellia will also, as those are very very nice in their own right. The strengths of those phones is how deeply you hear into the mix, these are incredibly detailed phones. Different in overall presentation to the Stax, but they are sealed back so you would expect that. These will be great for times when others can be disturbed by the sound of an open back phone, so there is a definite need for this style. I guess I am fortunate to have these two options.

Edits: 12/09/20 12/10/20

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.