Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Headphones that image like speakers

There are headphone amplifiers and processors that utilize crossfeed algorithms to try to duplicate the way one hears speakers (sound from the left speaker reaching the right ear delayed in time from the longer path from diffracting around the head; difference in pitch from diffraction and etc.). These things work to varying degrees in making the soundstage more like speakers. I, personally, don't like these circuits and I just accustom myself to the different experience from headphone listening (I do both speaker and headphone listening to almost equal degree at home).

Around a year or so ago, Stereophile had an article about a very complex headphone processor/amp that is suppose to exactly duplicate the sound of your own speakers in your own room (I cannot remember the product's name). A microphone is used to analyze the room sound and apply processing to the signal which is then played back on a Stax electrostatic phone. The system is quite expensive, but, you would get to preserve the sound of your Maggies (if that is what you want to do).

Wouldn't it be tempting to take the measurement of a million dollar system instead?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Headphones that image like speakers - Larry I 05:38:25 10/04/11 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.