Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Decided on the headphones, need advice for portable amp/DAC

I recently decided on getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, the 250 ohm version. I know for sure this is the headset that I want, but I'm pretty confused as to what a good match would be in terms of portable amp/DACs.

From what I've read, there are people who claim that amps which have a lower recommended headphone impedance (like, for example, the FiiO ALPEN 2-E17K would have in this case) might undesirably alter the frequency response and thus the quality of the sound. Other opinions I've seen were absolutely in favour of such solutions saying that in the worst case you might not be able to play anything super loud.
Mainly 2 portable amp/DACs have caught my attention: the Creative Labs Sound Blaster E5 and the Oppo HA2-SE. On one hand, the E5 is much cheaper but some say it may not be an ideal choice with the DT 990s. On the other hand, the HA2-SE is a little above my budget and it seems weird to have to pay more for the amp than the headset itself.

I'm really more after quality audio reproduction than loudness if it comes to that. So my questions are: would the Sound Blaster E5 be a reasonable choice? Is the Oppo HA2-SE overkill? Is there any chance a less powerful amp would suffice? Ideally I wouldn't want to pay more for the amp but I'd be prepared to if it made a REAL difference.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Decided on the headphones, need advice for portable amp/DAC - cecalacean.doru.95 11:08:44 05/22/17 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.