Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

LCD2's with Voilectric V200 and Woo Audio WA22

I have tried the LCD2's with the WA22 and both the sophia princess (woo upgrade tube) and the EML 5U4. I think the Sophia Princess sounds slightly better than the EML. The SP sounds more open compared to the EML which sounds slightly more veiled to me. The EML sounds a bit reticent to me compared to the SP. I also have the woo upgraded power tubes (7236) and upgraded driver tubes (shaguang treasure).

That being said I will also say that I was not completely happy with the sound I was getting with any of these tube combinations and the LCD2's. Then I tried the violectric HPA V200. This is the best amp I have ever heard with the LCD2s. I've listened to the above WA22 and the burson HA160. The WA with any of the tube combinations sounds more liquid than the HPA especially in the midrange. However, the overall presentation of the music is much more coherent and the dynamics are just as good with the V200. There is a sense of movement and flow to the music through the HPA V200 that the other amplifiers can not match. The WA22 sounds broken to me compared to the V200. I don't mean broken as in a tube has a crack in it. I mean broken as in when listening to a song all of the parts don't sound like they are coming from the same performance. The midrange sounds too distinct from the bass and from the treble. The pieces are shown with a spotlight on them. The V200 plays the music as one organic whole. I am still shocked at the price of the V200 compared to how good it sounds.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - LCD2's with Voilectric V200 and Woo Audio WA22 - rmilewsk 16:42:12 09/18/11 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.