Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Looking for New Headphones

OK, another I need recommendations for a new set of headphones thread. Sorry. Background; moved to a new house with a significantly smaller music room. Had to go from full range VMPS speakers to B&W monitors with a sub. Was painful but we've adjusted. However, the house is smaller all around, so I need to put together a headphone system for when my wife is home watching TV and so on.

Current set-up - Counterpoint preamp into an Alpha GT40 headphone amp. Headphones are Bose noise cancelling (for airplanes), Sennheiser HD-280, and Sennheiser HD-580. The 280's are very midrange prominent and are not at all comfortable for any length of time. They are good for recording sessions (I play guitar and other various instruments) as they have good isolation. The 580's have a nice smooth mid-range and high end, good detail, but are lacking (for me) in low end. So I'm looking for a set of headphones that have really, really good low end, with the midrange and high end of the 580's AND I can wear for 2-3 hours at a time and not be uncomfortable. I have already tried the HD-600 and HD650 cans and still not enough low end.

So my question - before I begin to try and find stores to go listen what brands/style should I focus on? I'd rather not waste time listening to cans that other know do not have the low end I'm looking for. So anyone have some good suggestions? Budget is around $600, plus or minus $50-$100. Right off the bat the new AudioQuest Nighthawk (I think that's right) look interesting.

As an aside, the headphone amp will be upgraded later as well, but I want to do the cans first.

Thanks!!

Al

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Looking for New Headphones - livinghigh@bellsouth.net 06:29:09 12/06/15 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.