Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

AKG K1000's are discontinued, but great for those with a stereo setup they already like.

I have a pair of discontinued AKG k1000's, and they are fantastic. They are hard to find, but still for sale if you look around. Probably around $1000, but you save money on getting a separate headphone amp if you already have a speaker setup that you like, because you can use the amplifier you already have. Of course they aren't portable, but if you were planning on listening at home anyway, they're worth looking into.

I haven't heard them, but the Audeze LCD-2 gets amazing reviews, and also has fantastic measurements. Also around $1000, but new and easier to obtain. You would need a headphone amplifier for them though. They are planar, so they are basically like Magnepans as headphones.

For a bit more the Sennheiser HD800's are excellent. $1400 new, but really great. Some people like the Audeze more than the Sennheisers though.

If you don't want to spend so much (you did say 'best', so that equals expensive), try a pair of Sennheiser HD600 or HD650s. Those will get you well on your way to fantastic headphone sound, particularly if you aren't enamored with the Grado sound.

Best of luck!
Aaron.

Edits: 51/12/01

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.