Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: hd800 bad reputation

Actually, for Acoustic recordings (with a few $k of line conditioning in front of the playback chain) the HD800 aren't being "Ananalytical". they are only working as "Mechanically" as their design allows them to. The perception that the 800 is "seeing further" into the music is a mistaken one.There are parts built into the HD800 that extend the duration of the more prominent played notes .

This might work as an enhancement for some genres of music, but not those that have " honest" naturally occuring Soundstage sound on the recordings. The reason the HD800 has a rep for being bright, is because the sound of the extended played notes is masking the start & stop transients of other notes long enough to interrupt the fundamental sound of these notes to develop.The continuous nature of how the music is being presented is creating some "sonic overhang"

You would think I don't particullarly care for how the HD800 sounds ! The driver that Sennheiser uses for this headphone is exceptional & as such this headphone has the same "potential". I honestly don't know what Senn. was thinking about or what they were listening
to when they voiced these headphone to work in cojunction with a "ring radiator"!

Without this "feature" in "play"the HD800 is all the good "hype" you've heard about them (When used with better equipment). When using Sennheiser's version they will work against your hearing whatever qualities your playback chain can bring out of the music (unless the recordings you generally listen to are mediocre at best)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.