Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

I re-wired my "Non-Senn" HD800; Very nice

I thought I'd take another go at seeing if having a performing a higher integrity straight
wiring to my HD800s would make a worthwhile "perk" to them . I had a pretty nice 12'
"Black Dragon" headphone cable with a nice 1/4" Furetech plug on it that I'd been eyeing
up for awhile ! My rewireing the first time around was an improvement sound wise to the
stock connectors attached cable, but it was a bit fragile .Being such I had to "go back in
there" to reattach one side of the cable to the driver terminals !

I did the reattach , but just looking at things fueled my interest to not leave "well enough"
alone. So I went at it again , with the resolve to ,as I mentioned, use a higher integrity method ! I'm glad I was persistent enough to do so !

I simply made sure that I properly "tinned" all the 1/2" stripped wire leads before I even
grabbed the headphones to remove the earcup baskets from the head band. I de soldered
& cleaned away any debris from the wires I removed from the driver's terminals & carefully
tax solder each new (nicely tinned this time) lead to their respective terminals & added just
s bit more solder to ensure mechanical integrity to each connection. I took enough time to
make sure I left a "clean,smooth,visually more mechanically acceptable" result.

It's hard to put my finger on why comparatively I'm pretty impressed with the way things are
sounding with this headphone cable. It sounds like I've gained a much more extended lower
Octave frequency response than was apparent with the DHC cable that I switched from.
I want to say that the tonal balance sounds a bit like a new cable that's not totally "relaxed"
yet. Now that I think of it, I may not have actually put that many listening hours on the headphones I had this cable built with.(a custom built Beyerdynamic DT880 with carbon fiber
earcups) (I can't remember why I scavenged these cans for parts).

(I guess this really puts my picking up the AQ Nighthawks on a back burner for the time being) ( It's back to tweaking my headphone amps; they're both fair matches for the HE-6
but a bit higher powered than the HD800s need to have a larger amount of useable volume
adjustment ( the Rothwell Inline attentuators ,I was planning to order this month but ended
up ordering a hp cable for the HE-6 instead, should do the trick)

I think I deserve to give myself a hearty pat on the back for my hp cable install as I'm having
a good time with it ! (Wow, i didn't realize how long I'd bended everyone's ear... Sorry)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - I re-wired my "Non-Senn" HD800; Very nice - Old SteveA 08:32:04 09/02/15 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.