Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: "Couloration'...

Being a serious Orchestral music listener myself I honestly don't know where the huge
appeal for the stock HD800 comes from ! Comparatively, other music genres really hold no
weight whatsoever in deciding what qualities I look for in my listening systems. The only
reason I can guess that the stock 800s work for people listening to this music is they're
satisfied to hear the large picture of an Orchestra playiing with massive macrodynamicss
(artificially expanded) without much real sense of the micro dynamics of the inner Orchestrl
dynamics & staging !

The Macrodynamics created by the playing of the Orchestra doesn't,need the type of "Enhancement" that the HD800's Ring Radiators (the metal rings that sit on the outside of the drivers & the small screens which are held down to the back of the drivers by the screws
passing through the rings & also hold the drivers to the basket) . This part of the headphone
Is now effectively a reverb circuit. He,he,he... No one ever stops to wonder why music,regardless of what it is sounds so huge through the HD800s. I'd gotten rid of these culprits , once this Enhancement Curcuit was gone my wonderfully low noisefloor told
me immediately I was left with tons of inner detail that was being masked by that dopey
artificial "Airness" . I definitely did a double take

I seriously can't recommend the stock HD800s as a headphone for Orchestral or other
Acoustical Music listening as it leaves way too much inner detail on the table for the sake
of Hifi Headphone Sound . The funny thing is that this headphone had the potential to be
a phenomenal sounding headphone if they had just allowed the driver to work on it own.
As delivered not so much . I've come to the realization that too many headphones seem to
be designed around too many misguided "headphone sound qualities" ( A tube amp doesn't
fix the stock 800s sound characteristics it only makes the reverb sound different)

(I hope my headphone cable shows up soon as my HE-6 is very respectably close to how
my fixed HD800 sounded)

Edits: 08/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "Couloration'... - Old SteveA 09:54:33 08/29/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.