Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

I wouldn't fear IEMs

They have made huge strides in the last few years in in ear monitor (IEM or ear buds) technology. You would be really amazed. I don't have a lot of experience in the price range you are considering. Most of my experience is under $500 new. But the IEMs in that price range are not that far off from the full range. Perhaps that doesn't translate to the higher end models. If you read just a few threads down you'll see a comparison I did between Focal Classic ($450), Beyerdynamic DT880 ($350) and JVC FX850 ($250-$300) The FX850s are IEMs and really hold their own to the full sized. I love them and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Many if not most of the IEMs in your price range are custom molds which are great! The custom ear mold completely isolates outside sound and are perfectly comfortable. I have a pair of etymotic HF2 with the custom molds and use them for travel or mowing the lawn etc... I am active duty military and have had my fair share of 50+ hour plane rides. I'll put the etymotics in just to filter out all the sound even if I am not listening to music. And isolating the outside noise has pretty significant impacts some good some bad. I recall one time I was listening to a live recording and a musician must have been picking up his/her instrument and I swear I thought someone was in the room with me! I jumped out of my chair because I knew no one was home at the time!

Anyway, I am not necessarily recommending an IEM. Perhaps in your price range they are not competitive I don't know. But given equal quality between an IEM and full sized headphones I would take the IEM in a heart beat!

I'm linking below a really exhaustive comparison between IEMs. This is probably dated now because it started a few years ago and I'm not sure how much updating has been done, but it will give you a flavor of what is out there. I would look more carefully before you rule them out!

Nate

You can't cheat an honest man, never give a sucker an even break or smarten up a chump -- W.C. Fields

Edits: 00/50/11

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I wouldn't fear IEMs - texanater 07:23:13 05/14/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.