Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Need headphone primer for a newbie - me, and some recommendations

I have very limited experience with headphones and don't normally wear them. The most I've ever paid was about $100 for a pair of Sonys or my Grado SR80. Here's what I'm looking for within a budget of under $1000, and preferably in the $500 range +/- or less.

- Somewhat lightweight and comfortable 'on ear' headphones with comfy cushions, rather than large over the ear headphones.

- Needs some passive ambient noise attenuation but doesn't have to be dead quiet from outside noise.

- The headphones will be used in my home office at my desk and will be driven by my Oppo HA-1 headphone amp/DAC, or the 1/4" headphone jack from an integrated amp. The headphones do not have to work well with an iPhone, iPod, etc.

- What impedance do I need? I see some headphones rated 32-Ohms, 250-Ohms, 600-Ohms within the same model family. What is 'standard'?

- Magnets and driver materials? I have no clue but if there's something I should look for or avoid I'd like to know more.

- And finally, I listen mostly to rock and prefer a clean transparent sound with great dynamics and well defined bass. Not that I need extra bass emphasis but I prefer that it not be 'rolled off' or too smooth down there. I would prefer tight, detailed, well defined bass vs ultimate 'thump'. I don't want the treble rolled-off either but prefer that it not be annoyingly bright. I forgot to mention that I also enjoy female vocals and jazz.

Again, must be reasonably lightweight, on ears with comfy cushions, some background noise attenuation, and they need to be transparent and dynamic. For use at my home office desk. Thanks!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Need headphone primer for a newbie - me, and some recommendations - AbeCollins 15:33:00 02/06/15 (30)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.