Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Fostex T50RP modified

Since the Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog, recommended below, is not within your price range, get the headphones on which the Alpha Dog is based: the Fostex T50RP ($130). Essentially, Mr. Speakers retains the planar-magnetic driver, which excellent. They then 3D print the shell, replace the earpads, and add a suspension headband for comfort. And probably perform other mods.

There are monster threads on modifying the T50RP on head-fi and other headphone sites. Essentially, you kill any resonance by applying plasticine or Blu-tack to the inside of the plastic shell and fill it with wool or cotton.

Then, buy the lambskin earpads ($60 and well worth it) and the leather suspension ($15) from Mr. Speakers. Yeah, I know, it's disproportionate to spend another $75 on a $130 headphone, but it improves comfort, isolation, and sound.

Is it as good as the Alpha Dog? Probably not. I think the SQ difference is small and the price difference is huge.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Fostex T50RP modified - Tubo 15:22:28 01/18/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.