Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Just got my first set of high-end IEMs

I've been listening to music through headphones about 50% of my listening time ever since I got my first Walkman in the early 80s. I work away from home for a week at a time and having a quality portable is a necessity.

In that time I have mostly used full sized cans but with the recent influx of high quality in-ear options, I decided it was time to try some.

By way of comparison my regular headphones are Sony MDR-7509 (had these about 10 years) and Sennheiser Momentum over ears. I actually sold my Sennheiser HD-650 because overall the Momentums were more my speed. Punchier bass than the HD-650 and easier to drive with a portable.

Well now I have found something rather special. I can't say how they compare to other high-end IEMs, but I like them better overall then both my full sized sets. At almost twice the price of my other cans, one would expect sonic improvements, but I've always been skeptical of in-ear monitors. No more! These Sony's are the bee's knees. I've only had them a coupla weeks but I feel I've got a pretty good handle on their performance. They sound great driven directly from a portable but even better with a dedicated amp. Next up is the Sony PHA-3 portable DAC / headphone amp.

It's a great time for portable music nuts!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Just got my first set of high-end IEMs - Waxxy 21:57:45 01/16/15 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.