Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

That looks like a Moth S2A3...

Perhaps the second generation, once Craig moved the 5ar4 rectifier out of the chassis and mounted it on top. Or it could be a retrofit of the original S2A3, which Moth performed a few times before the punch became too dull to pierce the thick plate-steel top. Does it have binding posts? As a headphone amp, the power transformers would create a tiny bit of hum on very high-efficiency headphones, or so I'm told.

I've owned an original S2A3 since 1999 and love it, although I used it exclusively with speakers until recently. A few months ago, Craig modded it for me by moving the power supply and 5ar4 to an outboard unit and converting DC to high-frequency AC on the 2A3 heaters. Excellent before, it's now in a different league--more liquid and detailed and seductive, more extended at both ends, and with great drive and bass control. And it's dead quiet. On 99 db coaxes I can turn the attenuator wide open, place my ear in the horn and hear absolutely nothing. I bought a pair of Senn HD600 and there's no noise at all. It sounds amazing. Craig says it's dead quiet on high-efficiency phones like Grados, too, although I've never tried any.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • That looks like a Moth S2A3... - Bill Musgrave 08:12:49 08/18/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.