Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Replacement Cable for Grado?

Recabling Grados is a job for someone who really knows what they are doing. If you search around at headfi you'll find that there are one or two people that have the know-how. The glue that holds the earcups together needs to be melted in just the right way before the old cable is completely removed and the new one is soldered in place.

$45 seems pretty reasonable for such an operation, but since new SR60s are only $25 more I would probably opt to buy a fresh pair and keep (or sell) the old pair for spare parts.

I would probably not opt to recable a pair of Grados unless I had an expensive, custom "upgrade" cable ready to install. This much hassle and expense should be reserved for one of the high-end Grado models. My Grado RS1i's were recabled with Cardas cable by someone who knew exactly how to separate the wooden cups without destroying them, but that type of expertise is hard to come by outside of the Grado factory.

Edits: 08/13/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.