Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: Discussion of Altmann Tera DAP

I saw your post that day. Charles was banned from Headfi, and the moderators over there have a rule that you cannot quote a banned member on the site. I once quoted some technical information about headphone impedance from a webpage that unknown to me at the time was created by a banned member, and my post was removed. So that is why your post was removed.

But there was also a long history with problems on the Tera threads on headfi, including Charles himself joining in with, how should I say this, less than polite interactions.

It seems to me that they over-reacted by removing even the older posts that had been up there for a long time, but in the end it is their own website, so they get to call the shots. Here is a long and thoughtful essay about how free speech does not extend to private homes and businesses: http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2009/09/free-speech-in-online-communities-the-delusion-of-entitlement/

The essay suggests that when you visit an online forum, you are like a guest in someone's home and if they don't like your behavior, they can ask you to leave. Of course someone running an online forum would also have to weigh the effect of banning someone, as eventually you may lose participants if you are too draconian in your enforcement of the rules. But bottom line is the owners of the Headfi site get to call the shots on their own site.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.