Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

Stax headphones that allow me to use my own amp

During the summers, I run a summer school, and leave my house and listening room to live in on a campus. I bring a turntable, maybe 50 records, a hard drive full of lossless, and now even some high resolution, digital files (I use a MacBook into a Musical Fidelity V-Link into a Benchmark DAC-1). It is a nice way to have music during these stressful months. And for various reasons, it is an all-headphone time.

I am using a Scott 299A as an integrated amplifier, and I also have my Grado headphone amp, to which I connect GS 1000 phones. The turntable goes into the Scott, and the tape out goes to the Grado. It sounds good with that combo.

But I'm pleasantly surprised at the sound I get when I run my old Stax SR 80 'phones into the SRD 4 converter, which goes into the speaker outputs. I get to have the tube output as part of the mix, and I like the combination a great deal. I'm wondering if anything else in Stax's line allows me to use my own amp, as opposed to one of their dedicated units? Is the SRD converter good enough that I could use it with a better Stax headset that works on the same principle as the SR 80 "electret" type? Or does one have to upgrade the converter box as you get better headsets?

Thanks,

David

Edits: 40/41/01 40/41/01

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Stax headphones that allow me to use my own amp - torc 06:23:52 08/06/11 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.