Home Headphone Heights

Welcome to Headphone Heights, the place for all your ear bud discussion

RE: I need headphone help!

Thanks all for your assistance.

Pbarach, I have just come from a house, I have a house still in upstate NY where I moved most of my audiophile gear, turntables, vinyl, CDs, etc. I have an apt a block from Lincoln Center and a few blocks from Carnegie Hall, so I am trying to listen to more live music as we approach retirement. I'd love to own a townhouse in Manhattan like Mike Bloomberg but unfortunately I don't have a spare $20 million lying around :-(

I will be working the neighbor angle over the next few weeks to see what I can get away with. Being is how this is Manhattan, it can be rather tough. I was encouraged today when I met a new neighbor from down the hall, and when I mentioned the trouble I was having with the downstairs apt, she mentioned that someone on that floor was 'crazy', and was always calling security for everything.

I have lived most of my life in NYC apts, but I have never had this problem before. Of course, I never had a sub-woofer either :-)

Great idea on the SPL meter, I just grabbed one off ebay.

After looking around, it seems all the audiophile headphone amps have only one output. But there are many that cater to the pro music business that have four outputs as standard.

So today I went to the local Sam Ash and bought a Samson S-amp, one line in, four out. And some AKG cans for $100 (for my wife). I tested it on the 'charge' scene from 'War Horse' which is what brought my neighbor up last night. It sounds pretty good, in fact as Chuck Y suggests, the dialog is more clear than it was thru speakers.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I need headphone help! - denton 15:08:50 04/24/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.