VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

TU-8340VK vs2x Krell FPB 250Mc

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Thank you for Graham's feedback in comparing Krell 250MC to TU-8340VK
Subject: TU-8340VK vs2x Krell FPB 250Mc

Victor,
In some ways I believed the comparison was going to be a bit like "apples vs oranges", but what I found.
Except for the sheer power of the Krell monoblocks the comparison came out pretty close
I hooked the TU-8340 directly in place of the two mono Krell amps driving Martin Logan Monolith II's
- super detail and resolution.
- The soundstage and imaging is great.
- The dynamics and bass typically like the Krell.
- And the midrange and treble is smooth and not harsh and sound warm and airy. (a key bought out by the ML electrostatic membrane)

I have always believed that at quite low volume settings the entire sound dynamics and weight should still be there, and they were.
The overall sound was so good I decided to purchase a more modern and smaller sized pair of Krell Hybrid (electrostatic) speakers for the TU-8340 (versus just a set of bookshelf speakers)

Note 1
Each Krell amp (class A) idle draws130W and each weight 180lbs
TU-8340 amp (class A/B) idle draws 196W (mainly the heaters I guess) and with volume does not go up much.

Note 2
While the Martin Logan Monolith II's impedance drops as low as 1.6ohms it is at the 20KHz end where there is very little power anyway.

Follow Ups: