VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

Forum Alert

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  Email  Next ] [ VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Photobucket

FORUM ALERT!!

The original R-core of TU-879S does not have the coloured tabs for multi voltages; they have either 100V , 120V, or 230V custom made for the specific area by Phenix, Japanese R-core transformer maker. http://www.pnxcorp.co.jp/index1.htm

When purchasing your TU-879S kit, please ensure that you are getting the original R-Core transformer made by Phenix, Japan to maintain optimum quality output (see pic without coloured tabs for voltage). A lot of clone R-core transformers use inferior (poor quality) iron and of course the sound quality will be downgraded. The clones are not up to the standard of quality of the original R-Core invented and licensed by Kitamura Kiden Japan. Be wise and go with the original R-Core and not the reproduction.

Extracted from 6moons
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/elekit/6L6_6.html
Consumer Alert (July 11, 2011): The only thing better than free advertising is a good review. But if the manufacturer changed parts or allowed third party to change parts after the review was published, what do we do? Victor Kung of VK music was the first importer to introduce and successfully promoted Elekit to North America in 2008. Without any English literature and printing support from the factory, Victor translated all the kit building instructions into English and prepared printing artwork for the TU-882R, TU-870R, TU-875, TU-884CD and TU-879S. He invested tremendous time and money building up brand image and consumer loyalty by providing after-sales services and maintaining an active forum for Elekit. Thanks to Victor’s perseverance, the Japanese factory agreed to provide North American shipments of the TU-879S with the same Japanese made high-quality R-core transformer suitable for North American voltage. Victor accepted the fact that these transformers would jack up his cost and was willing to lower his already very humble profit margin. It’s shocking that the manufacturer could later turn around and flush all his hard work down the drain.

How so you ask? VK Music being a small enterprise short on capital could not meet the high volume the manufacturer demanded to grant him exclusive distribution rights. An American-based tube trading online store was attracted to take a piece of the TU-879S success. Since all the ground work had been done and the language barrier removed (a instruction manual being crucial to kit DIYers), the manufacturer gladly accepted. Anxious to push more sales in America and Europe, the American online store had their own dual-tap dual-voltage transformer manufactured in India.

Now I have nothing against lowering costs to benefit the masses but quality must be guaranteed. If I were Elekit, I would test these Indian transformers, then either endorse them if up to standard or reject them if not. I would not allow my products to be associated with unknown or untested parts. Yet Elekit has chosen to bow down to profit and do just that by supplying TU-879S sans R-core to the American company. In an Elekit forum on DIY Audio Projects, the manufacturer stated that "...as we cannot test the transformer they sourced on their own, we explicitly mentioned that we are not liable for any trouble caused by their transformers."

Pilate’s washing hands might have ridden him of guilt but not crime. Even more ridiculous in this case is that the manufacturer undercuts one loyal importer who pays a premium for factory-warrantied products and at the same time undermines the other importer’s credibility by legitimising their “grey-market” products yet claiming innocence and not being liable. It must be clarified that the review item here was fitted with the original Japanese made R-core transformer meeting Elekit specifications, which I believe has contributed significantly to the sonic performance of the kit. The American online store has a trustworthy and reputable name in the business and they’re a good company I have purchased tubes from. I truthfully wish they would send their transformers to Elekit for appraisal and endorsement

Edits: 10/17/11

Follow Ups: