Home VK Music - Elekit & Triode Japan Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

TU-879S Wow! Any other happy owners?

I've had my TU-879S for a few months now and initially I was very impressed with the sound it put out. I'd changed out the four 0.1uf coupling caps with Mundorf Silver In Oils and after a couple hundred hours of listening using a late 1950s Sylvania Industrial 12AX7 shortplate and a pair of 1950s Sylvania 6L6G grayglass outputs, I can't believe the quality of sound this little amplifier puts out. Everything is there, nice airy highs, full mids, and gutsy bass.
I hate to sound like an advertisement, but this little amp is the best buy I've made on an amp since I started buying equipment about 15 years ago. I've had VTL, B&K, Parasound, Cary, Scott, McAlister, H-K Citation, and dozens of vintage amps and this little wonder beats them all for quality of sound and listenability. As long as you have some efficient speakers I don't think you can beat this little wonder for the money. I'm using some upgraded Von Schweikert speakers (93dB SPL)and I'm loving the combination. I'm rebuilding a pair of Klipsch KLF-20s and they should also be great with the TU-879S when finished.
Sure, there are other SE amps that could beat the 879S, but for the little money I've spent on this amp so far nothing else I've ever bought can come close soundwise. I just shake my head in disbelief when I look at this almost unknown 'kit' amp and hear the sound it puts out. I continue to stay impressed with what I'm hearing and what I'm not hearing. What I'm not hearing is unwanted noise. This amp does not have any hiss, hum, or stray amp noise, even when you put your ear up to the speaker cones & domes at full volume, with no input. I can really appreciate that after having many noisy/hummy vintage amps.
I'm going to keep this one for a long time and maybe buy another one for a seperate system. I have been wanting to buy an E.A.R. 859S single-ended integrated, but I don't see when I am going to have a spare $2,000.00 to get one (used), so the Elekit looks to be way more affordable at this point for a second tube amp when the need comes.
I'm writing this for anyone who has been considering getting one of these. Yeah, they're worth every penny and then some. After listening to mine today it motivated me to put in my two cents worth as a happy owner. This little amp deserves some notice. I don't think anyone would be disappointed by getting one as long as your speakers are efficient enough. I have absolutely no regrets. Any other happy owners? I'd like to hear your thoughts and if any upgrades were done.

Larry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - TU-879S Wow! Any other happy owners? - lektrik 22:51:55 06/24/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.