Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Perhaps Joe could offer a comment, but here’s what I have found...

My understanding thus far is that the balance control can be left out. That is, just run the respective wires from the blend switch, or from the selector switch (bypassing the blend switch, as well), directly to the volume control.

However, when I completed the first rebuild of my PAS in this way, I felt the sound was somewhat distorted, or fuzzy, or having some breakup as the volume was turned up. This could have different causes that I am investigating.

But, I've have wondered if it might be better to replace the balance control with a 750K resistor to ground to emulate its presence. Could there be a need to emulate the presence of the loading the balance control provides? That is, the load either looking into the PAS from the outside or looking back from the first section of the 12AX7? If so, then could the problem I noticed be exacerbated by using a 100K volume pot vs. the original value of 250K? I used 100K because I recall Joe mentioning in another post a while back the high frequency performance of the PAS is improved..?

Edits: 03/24/14 03/24/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.