Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: "I am skeptical"

Hi Paul,

You have every right to be skeptical. I don't blame you at all. I've always felt the same way about you removing the ckokes. Not because you don't hear and like the improvement in sound. Only because it goes against conventional wisdom. That doesn't mean it's wrong though, only that you like it better, and I've always wondered if I would too.

One thing I will take exception to (unless I'm making an incorrect assumption here) is when you say,

"To me(getting off subject a bit), I hear more of a difference(for the better in my opinion) when I took an ST-70 or a pair of MK III's and took the choke out and put in another filtering section, than I ever would putting in huge amounts of UF on a filament supply."

Have you tried actually temporally clip leading in the extra capacitance into a stock ( meaning unregulated) PAS supply and listening to it that way? Maybe I misread your post, but when you say, "than I ever would" it sounds like contempt prior to investigation. I've always wanted to try your method of removing the choke from my ST-70, and listening for myself. Unfortunately, my work schedule allows me enough time to listen to music, but not enough to solder as often as I'd like. That's one of the things I admire about you, you get a lot of projects done.

Back to the subject at hand. Temporary adding extra caps to the PAS filament supply (via clip leads) will only take you a couple of minutes. I'd like to hear about your results. I'm not suggesting this will give you more improvement than removing the choke, let me be clear about that, because I simply don't know. Only that caps are cheap, the original poster had them in his "junk box", and adding extra capacitance is easy.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "I am skeptical" - 1973shovel 06:45:07 10/18/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.