Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Right...

Why are you desoldering anything to bring the amp up on a variac. No need! Just plug the amp into a variac and the variac into the wall outlet, with the dial of the variac turned all the way down of course, and slowly come up until you see the rectifier tube filament start to glow a bit. Leave it there for about a half hour, then go a quarter turn more from where you are and repeat leaving it there. Keep doing it until you are totally powered up.

The fact that you have four individual caps in place of the quad cap has nothing to do with powering up the amp. Each one of the caps on the board represents a section of the quad cap. The quad cap is four individual caps all sharing the one ground point within the can cap.

Going with one of the power supply boards offered either by Joe Curcio or Sheldon Stokes is just another way of filtering the amplifier using more capacitance and for the most part, better quality caps(but that can be suggestive).

The SS rectifier plug in is a good idea as you will get voltage to the caps sooner but I really don't think it is necessary. In fact, I would say you can just plug it in to a wall outlet and use it but as Peter said, better to be safe than sorry.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.