Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Dynaco newbie - Stereo 400 options

First: how do you know the fuses look good? Some of the original fuses in the Dynaco Stereo 400 are inside the unit, and at least when mine was built, the ones supplied were CERAMIC-body fuses, not glass. You can't see inside; they need to be checked with an ohmmeter.

However, once you KNOW all the fuses are good, I'd say the problem with your Stereo 400 goes way beyond what "recapping" can accomplish. Probably there has been a failure which is causing a DC offset at the output; this will prevent the protection circuit from releasing a few seconds after turn-on (with a CLICK). The report of the meters pegging when speakers are turned OFF is a bad sign.

The Stereo 400 can be a fine amplifier but servicing it requires a level of skill and experience. Lacking that, a lot of expensive parts can get damaged.

Recapping is often practiced by amateurs on popular Japanese transistor receivers because somebody else told them that sonic improvements comparable to the Second Coming will result (they often don't, because the circuitry itself is often the cause of sonic shortcomings). Seldom will actual CIRCUIT problems, such as has probably happened to your Stereo 400, be fixed by recapping unless a specific capacitor failure is involved, and that's easier solved by troubleshooting using voltage measurements and circuit-tracing. Promiscuous recapping by inexperienced users has resulted in the death of many a formerly functional piece of equipment: just about every week, a post on a well-populated audio discussion forum will go something like, "I just recapped my Blitzkrieg Eight Classic Receiver. Before I did, it worked. Now it doesn't." Or the recapper will change out every capacitor in the set, including the little ceramic ones in the FM tuner, because he heard that ceramic capacitors "don't sound good." But after he put in his new kilobuck ultra-audiophile film capacitors, the FM tuner is off calibration and drifts with warmup because those little ceramic capacitors were specified as to their precision and their change in capacitance with temperature. "Temperature coefficient? I don't need no stinkin' temperature coefficient! I bought the best audio capacitors there are!"

GP49

Edits: 05/14/13 05/14/13 05/14/13

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dynaco newbie - Stereo 400 options - GP49 08:11:31 05/14/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.