Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Dynaco newbie - Stereo 400 options

Hello all - I need a bit of advice from the experts.

I recently came into some vintage Dynaco gear. An AF-6, a PAT-5, and a Stereo 400. I don't have any background in electronics, but I bought some De-oxit, opened up the cases, cleaned everything as best I could (spent days on the outside front and backs - they look beautiful!), plugged them in and held my breath.

The tuner and the preamp work great. The 400 - not so much. All 6 fuses look good, and when I first turned the unit on I got a loud thunk like maybe a relay opening or closing? - but after that initial turn on I get no thunk now. I do get a faint distorted sound in one channel, and an even fainter noise in the other (with tuner, preamp and amp volumes at max. Blue dials work too. However, if I select NO speakers on the preamp - then the blue dials really peg, otherwise they only move faintly on the louder sounding channel and not at all on the real faint channel.

OK - sorry for the book. My question: as an electronic newbie who has only soldered a few times, should I try to repair this by changing caps - from the few articles I've managed to find about possible fixes, or should I throw it out on f-bay and let someone else have the headache? It looks really close to mint on the outside and inside looks pretty clean too. By the way - I don't plan on keeping the other units either as I am more into the Marantz / Pioneer gear from the 70's.

Thanks for any opinions!

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Dynaco newbie - Stereo 400 options - Maxmano356 11:45:27 05/10/13 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.