Home Dynaco-Doctor Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: help with Dynaco Pas line stage circuit check

I've always agreed on the Dynaco amps that it sounded great stock so why mess with success. I know in the ST-70 and whatever other products used the 7199 tube getting good ones is a real horror but if you change to a different front end board it is not a Dynaco any more even if it is called a "modded" Dynaco which means what to me. The front end board in any amp or preamp is the most important. The rest is academic in any amp.

The Tubes4hifif circuits are quite good but in my opinion I do like stock the best myself, even with out of tolerance parts the distortions created can be quite rewarding. I don't get into all the hype about boutique parts or this had to be this or that. The only part of the circuit in my opinion that should be as close to spec is the resistors in the bias supply(270K or something like that) in the Mk III or ST-70. With everything being as close to equal in the bias supply, the tubes would be easier to operate at their best possible spot.

I like a bit of distortion. Gives some color or character to the sound. That is why the most favorite preamp to me is the 26 tube preamp. Lots of color but the sound can't be matched by anything out there. Very large sound stage.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.