Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

What are you debating?

1) I do not consider DTS to be a HI-REZ format. Any material where the music information has been compromised -- poisoned with watermarking such as Verance or by throwing away bits -- cannot be considered HI-REZ.

2) The quote was in WR, but WR (Editor Gary Reber) wasn't quoted -- Kirchner from DTS was. Are you saying that DTS doesn't know the limits of its own codec?

3) Most of what WR "promotes" for DTS is for the DVD-V format -- not the DVD-A format. WidescreenReview, in their opinion and mine, supports the best codec currently available for that format -- DTS. The only other alternative lossy codec (remember, DVD-V is a video format first -- not audio) is Dolby Digital. Is "that" your choice regarding the two options? By the way, if you promote DVD-A over SACD, does that make you a "shill" for DVD-A?

4) I stated that DTS has 24/192 capability because Michi -- who, in my opinion, usually adds valuable discussion and thought provoking comments anytime she posts -- posted that it wasn't available. Well, it is available. Whether or not it will work with the decoder in everyone's processor/receiver may or may not be possible. However, keep in mind that DTS-ES is backwards compatible and DTS 24/96 is also backwards compatible. While neither will allow you to take advantage of its features unless you have a DTS-ES or DTS 24/96 capable chip, the new format can still be used with your current decoder. When, or if, you upgrade later on, you will be able to take advantage of what these new formats offer. Sounds like the similar benefit that DD/DTS/MLP DVD-As and hybrid SACDs have to me. Is that such a bad thing?

5) DTS can have a bit rate over 6 Mbs. As a lossy compression codec, I think that's a good deal of information and far more than what's used now (for lossy codecs). Will we ever go to 10.2 channels like TH the ex-THX guru wants? I can't answer that. They can't answer that. Neither can you. The fact is, they have this capability.

6) The sound quality is subjective. There are some people that think DVD-As and SACDs sound no better than CDs and those CDs can be matched by "CD-quality" MP3s! There are even people that think their format of choice, with its added sounds of Rice Krispys, is better than the master tape that it was produced from! Are you going to tell any of them that their "subjective" opinion is wrong?

7) All I know is that DTS makes a lot more people happy than you do by pissing with your pants still on. I see what they are doing to further people's enjoyment of DVD-As and DVD-Vs. Just what are you doing?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.