Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: Newbie here. Suggestions sought.

The Marantz is a 2ch SACD player. If you are interested in mch and/or DVD-A, it's not for you.

Regarding my experiences, I have owned both Marantz and Denon universal players - i'm not at home now, so I can't offer you the model numbers. The Marantz had a much smoother and more natural sound, and markedly better video performance (if that means anything to you). However, the big caveat was reliability. I bought the Denon first, and it is still in service. The Marantz was, when I bought it, the second-best in its line. About a year or so after I got it, I had to have the drawer replaced. A few years after that - a year or so ago - the focusing element of the lens died (it would not recognize SACDs). The Marantz service outlet near me said it could no longer be repaired - the parts were not available.

I also own a Marantz HT receiver that has been in the shop a couple of times in its nine-year life for center-channel dropout. Again, the audio performance is sweet - when it works. As much as I like the sound, it's unlikely I'll buy another when the time comes.

Odd twist - Marantz and Denon are part of the same company. I understand that Denon is the step-down from Marantz, but at least in terms of reliability, my experience gives Denon the edge.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Newbie here. Suggestions sought. - radiodaddy 08:40:19 01/09/13 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.