Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Just downloaded a test 24/96 surround file

Very interesting - I just downloaded one track ("Rondes de printemps") from the Classical Shop Chandos "Stephane Deneve conducts Debussy" album you originally posted about. The eight-minute file took half an hour to download. As usual, I used Max to convert the FLAC to AIFF. I brought it into iTunes and it shows up with all the right meta information (sample rate of 96k, bit rate of 11,520k - my two-channel 96k files have a bit rate of 4,608k). However, iTunes will not play it. But the VLC media player will - it shows the 11,520k bit rate as it plays in real time, so it appears to be playing at the advertised 96k resolution. The surround in this case is 5.1 - I do get subwoofer output. VLC will also play the FLAC file directly, as well as the AIFF file I converted it to.

I used Spek to look at the spectrum analysis and there is information above 25k. Looks good (no DSD ultrasonic noise). Sounds good. I'm tempted to download the whole album, but I'd just have to start it and let it go overnight! ;-)

Edits: 05/15/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Just downloaded a test 24/96 surround file - Chris from Lafayette 21:04:44 05/15/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.