Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

here's a screenshot

Chris Connaker posted the screenshot above of Tom Sawyer 24/96 via Audacity (a free software program that does frequency spectrum analysis). If you look at the great majority of the screenshots in the thread linked below, you'll see frequency spectrum plots which not only go beyond 20 - 22kHz, but are spread out for the real HD audio releases. As long as the content gets near 30kHz or so, it's real HD audio. And notice the intensity of the red in the 15kHz and up range? That's not natural -- it's from re-EQing the original digital master (eg, boosting the highs). Run Audacity on Tom Sawyer from the original CD and you won't see that much red.

Here's an interesting comment from a member of that forum on the compression factor:

"Chris. I am a great fan of rush so I evaluated this High Res files into more detailed and also listen to it. Basically this was an 44.1 SR file. Do doubt about it. So this is another fake High Res file that is sold, to earn more money, with selling again and again the same content to the customer.

When I dig a little be deeper into this file, to understand the behavior above 20 kHz I came to the following conclusion. The Original 44.1 SR Master File must have been sent to an analog compressor and the output of this compressor is sampled with 96 kHz. What does this mean?

1. The new High Res File has lower dynamic range as the original file. I have "Moving Pictures" on Vinyl and on CD and both sounds better, more realistic than this new High Res version. The High Res version sound louder, sure, but less dynamic and more front in the face.

2. Whenever the hardware compressor doesn't have to limit the output, then the spectral content goes only till 22 kHz. But whenever the compressor / limiter has to work, it is a sort of clipping (limiting) so the output has content above 22 kHz and whenever a hard snare drum has to be limited, then the limiter does clipping and creating content up to 48 kHz. This clipping creates an artificial shot of the snare, so untrained ears may mistake this with higher dynamic range but trained ears will recognize that this is a cheap trick and that the High Res sound much more flatter than the Vinyl or CD.

It is really a shame that we, the customer, have to check every time, what type of files the High Res stores are selling to us.

Juergen

PS: There is also a static 28.8 kHz signal in the file. Normally I do see this type of spectral lines only, when a 48 Volt phantom power supply is made out of a switched mode power supply and when the phantom voltage is not symmetrical enough on both lines on a symmetrical cable. But this in an minor mistake compared to the fake."

If you're interested in more of the discussion about HD audio not being real HD audio, click the link

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.