Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: different opinion

I too seem to remember the video for Vital Signs too. Weird?

Regarding the DVD-A sound quality- I played the two channel tracks last night (which is mastered from the analog stereo master tape) and then compared to a downmix of the surround, just to compare the overall frequency balance of the two. Then I played a track or two of the CD version.

Of note- the DVD-A two channel sounds pretty darn good! The first thing the wife said to me during Tom Sawyer was "where is the top end??" I had to concur, as we listened, the two channel didn't have a top end boost to it. It sounded warm and yet at the same time, "tighter". Stops and starts, accents in the rhythm, and reverb tails are more noticeable. Geddy also has a presence (both vocally and with his bass tone) that I had not heard before. I guess one could say it has the best PRAT of the 4 versions I've heard so far (wish I could have heard the MoFi for comparison).

The surround version's balance kinda sounds (frequency-wise) like they've tried to mimic the balance of the Remaster Series CD (of course, I couldn't listen in surround, oh well). The dynamics seem a little less powerful than the DVD-A two channel master.

I haven't compared this release's CD to the Remaster CDyet, but against the DVD-A two channel, it pales, and not by a narrow margin again...

Again, YMMV

Dman
Analog Junkie

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.