Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: How many DVD-A have bad Mastering?

Anton,

With all due respect, I think you are bit out of your skill level in your attempt to analyze DVD-A masters.

First of all, you simply cannot make final pronouncements based on how waveforms are rendered in software applications. Many applications will render waveforms differently at different sample rates. Anybody who has worked with audio applications in a professional setting knows this. Screen rendered waveforms are always an approximation of the audio, not the actual audio and can vary quite a bit based on bit-depth and sample rate and even song length.

Secondly, the stereo master for Gaucho was originally recorded on the 3M digital system at 50khz sampling. It was then up converted to 96/24 PCM to get it into a modern PCM format. This was done by a 3M engineer and one of our studio engineers on one of the few working 3M machines.

The surround master was mixed from the original multi-tracks and mastered in the usual way. The mix was performed by Eliot Scheiner, and both stereo and surround were mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway. There was no record company direction to "compress" or "maximize" or do any of the other crap you claim is destroying music.

Although it's entertaining to think that there are conspiracies out there specifically designed to ruin your personal enjoyment of high fidelity music, I think in reality you don't know what you are talking about.

Music is about listening, not about looking at waveforms.

Regards,
Jim

(DVD-A disc producer on Diana Krall, Steely Dan, The Who, and about 40 more DVD-A titles)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.