Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

RE: Future of Hi def audio?? bd discs

I think a lot of the SACD crowd might be a little into the voodoo and mystic of the format than the reality.

It has its own flaws and compromises, so SACD is really 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other VS DVD-A or PCM.

Not very many SACD sources were recorded in DSD natively.
If they are very lucky the master came from a legitimate 382kHz sample rate digital master which is rare.

There are still fraudulent upconverted PCM to DSD or as many albums like Elton John (I have SACD) or Steely Dan (DVD-A), the stereo tracks are just the stereo masters prepared for redbook (weather or not it was the digital master or the Analogue Master I can't Say.

I big downfall (or upside to SACD depending on who you are) is there are very few tools to work with SACD natively. I don't know of any (I heard there was work being done at one point) great non linear editing tools.

SACD is also a little more like Vinyl in that it doesn't really have a definite clipping level so engineers have to be a little more careful with how they utilize the headroom and can't get away with playing the same sort of Loudness War Games.

However my Elton John Tumbleweed connection sounds a little rude in the stereo mix because it was mastered in digital HOT then transferred to DSD. The Multichannel sounds great though!!!

DVD-A inferior??
I know it uses more Data than A DSD multichannel if its mastered at 192kHz but PCM is infinitely more accessible with regards to editing tools (which could also be a weak point).

192kHz puts the frequency response in the same realm as DSD, and 384kHz I believe exceeds DSD's capabilities as far as Frequency response.

So is there going to ge a Blu-Ray Audio???

I know there are still a number of SACD's being released. Which is good because it means there is still some glimmer of hope for quality audio. I don't really care much about Concert videos myself. Its good to capture the spirit and energy of the performers, but is seldom High quality audio, in that professional albums at one point in history had hours of labor and crafting put into them.

Screw it I think all music must be produced like Metallicas Death Magnetic a true sonic masterpiece!!!

But seriously what's the story with Blu-Ray --- Audio?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.