Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Any Experiences With Denon Versus Pioneer Universal Players

I went through this decision of Pioneer Elite vs. Denon for universal players a couple of years ago, and since I was buying for two separate systems I split the difference and bought one of each, an Elite DV59AVi and a Denon DVD3910. Before that I had a Denon DVD2900 on one system and a CD-only Elite PD65 on the other.

Of the universal players, certainly the Denon units support the perception of better build quality, though I've not experienced any difference in reliability between them. The Denon units I've owned have been more finicky about discs, declining to read a few whereas I've never had a rejection from my DV59AVi. On sound quality, the Denons have an etched quality that contributes to a perception of higher definition, but just as the Denon video performance is more vividly video-like, and the Elite is more nuanced and film-like, a similar division of qualities characterizes their music output. On balance, I found I listened to music on the Elite universal player much more, regardless which system I placed it in. It has a more holistic presentation that got closer to the natural tonality of music and instruments, whereas the Denons sound more "hifi."

Discounting its somewhat less extensive user controls for video calibration, however, the NAD M55 Master Series universal player steamrolls both the Elite and the Denon on sound in all formats, and has the Elite's film-like beauty visually.

Phil

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Any Experiences With Denon Versus Pioneer Universal Players - 213Cobra 00:15:16 04/21/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.