Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: LPCM - Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall

First of all, thanks for confirming that the new NY release is a DVD-V, not a DVD-A. There was some question about that, and I think you've answered it.

>> What is the deal with LPCM vs traditional DVD-A?<<

LPCM is uncompressed, unprotected Linear PCM. It's the "traditional" format. LPCM can be played on any DVD player. It can be output through an external DAC at full resolution via a standard unencrypted digital port (assuming the DAC can handle that resolution). LPCM can be copied at full resolution to a computer or digital media player.

"DVD-A" is (losslessly) compressed, protected Packed PCM. PPCM requires a special DVD-Audio-compatible player. PPCM cannot be output through an unencrypted digital port, and it is copy-protected.

Neil Young appears to have abandoned DVD-A in favor of hi-rez LPCM on DVD-V. It makes sense for stereo-only DVD releases, because putting your stuff on a DVD-A guarantees a limited market.

>> I get the impression from what I have read on this forum that one needs to maually set my player's output to LPCM and that is for digital out. In my case (Denon 3910), it already has nice D/A 192/24 converters built in. Why would I want to use the external digital out for an outboard D/A? Am I listening to 96/24 when I am playing the DVD?<<

If you are using the built-in DACs, there should be no reason why you would need to play with settings that control the digital ports. Your Denon will play the LPCM tracks on the DVD-V at full resolution.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: LPCM - Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall - racerguy 09:18:36 03/14/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.