Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Less of a Red Herring

<< We should settle for less and never dream that anything will be better. >>

Sometimes it's hard to tell with internet postings, but I assume that you are being facetious.

Please note that there's a difference between wanting something better and smoking opium and having pipedreams.

It would be great if we could all listen to first-generation copies of 30 ips master tapes. But it ain't gonna happen.

We could invent a new format for turntables that spun at 100 rpm. The frequency response and dynamic range would be incredible. To overcome the playing time, we would need to make the discs 30" in diameter. But it ain't gonna happen.

I could put downloadable files of 352 kHz at 24 bits on a server that would offer incredible fidelity. They would be playable on a handful of professional editing suites. If I were lucky, I might be able to get a handful recordings of the local youth symphony. But it ain't gonna happen.

In the real world, we need to temper high-minded goals with a dash of realism.

For a brief moment there existed a chance to replace 44/16 CD format with 96/24 on DVD-Video format. And Dolby Digital (essentially five channels of MP3) could have been replaced with 6 discrete channels of 48/20. The format was set. Everybody owned the hardware. The copy protection was quite robust, especially in contrast to the non-existent copy protection of CD. It was all there, just waiting for someone to buy it. No buttons to push, and it didn't even rain.

And it all got pissed away for what, exactly?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.