Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Thanks for the detailed answer

Chances are high it's the authors. Most serious authors only use the Sonic DVD-Audio Creator, as nothing else actually gives you full access to the DVD-A specs.
It's a strange one and been the subject of often heated debates, because whilst most - and I stress most - players will easily handle these "out of spec" discs, it's not [i]technically[/i] DVD-Audio.
In the Beatles disc, you cannot access any of the lossy streams at all, so this is technically out of spec, although unlinked universals (or hybrids) are indeed common. It's all a matter of interpretation, and the spec states all VTS shall be linked.
My understanding (and many others) of the word "Shall" is that it must happen, has to be done, is not optional. Others disagree.
Nearly all the Warner titles are technically "off-spec".
Where it matters is at replication, and certain replication facilities will refuse to print a disc that fails verification for spec compliance. Here in the UK we have an insane situation - The company who used to be called Deluxe Media are one of only a couple who can replicate DVD-A, and they were bought out by Sony Media, who are now insisting on strict spec compliance.
Yet there are other replicators who will do the job & not be so fussy about things. What to do? It's probably better to stick with the specs, no matter how silly we feel the restrictions may be, because there are bound to be players out there that only conform to strict specs, and will therefore refuse to play certain discs at all. Hell, we know the Pioneer 563/565 has problems with discs that are to spec, never mind those that are not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.