Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Toshiba SD 3200

I read your post re: Toshiba damper upgrade which I did last April. Below are messages I shared with other posters that will get you started. It is a total mishmash from many people, but there is useful info near the bottom with a link to the service manual. Good luck...and also do a search in this forum.

Pacific Coast Parts Distributors - Gardena California
Part# T-79070496
(800) 421-5080 or (310) 515-0207
Cost: $16.90 plus $5.95 for US mail (non-insured); or $9.95 for UPS, plus tax.

I had no experience and it took me up to 2-1/2 hours to do the upgrade.

Quotes from others below:

It's the spindle knocking against its housing, and used to drive me nuts. After a replacement machine and then a "fixed" machine I still have the problem, though reduced.
Something which may help is to adjust the pressure on the screws holding things together until the resonance it at its least. I had mine playing a disc with the top off, and so was able to hear the resonance change as I tightened/loosened screws. Just be careful :-)
Partsolver

After some tense moments with the whole laser pickup assembly in my hands, the dampers were installed and now so far there is no further noise. It appears that the new dampers are stiffer than the old ones and that seems to keep the pickup assembly in check a little more. The concern I have is that the rubber dampers might break down over time and allow increased vibration again (I might order another kit to keep on hand). The vibration seems to come from the top half of the disk clamp vibrating against its holder. This vibration appears to be severe enough to be transmitted throughout the case, and the sound is amplified by the metal panels. With the new dampers, there is still vibration (you can see the clamp wobbling a little as a disk plays) but they are stiff enough to prevent physical contact between the two surfaces. I'm very happy now with the sonic performance of this unit as long as the transport problem is resolved.
Toshiba rubber damper kit part # 79070496.

One REALLY bogus "feature" that perturbs me no end (if I hadn't went through a lot of trouble placing this unit into my existing system, I may have returned it on this alone) is the AUTO-SHUTOFF feature after 20 minutes.

There are a few "layers" to get to the dampers but it is quite doable, just take your time. You will have to disconnect a couple of cables also. While you are in there I'd lube the two transport slide rails and clean the laser head and you should be good for many years.
The link at the bottom will get you to an audioasylum post of a guy who has done the replacement. If you have questions/trouble you can try emailing him. If you cut and paste the address directly below it will get you to the SD-9200 service manual in pdf format. On the left side of the search box you will see 'SD9200.pdf' in blue lettering. Click on it to open your Adobe Acrobat Reader and load it [If you don't have AAR you can click on 'Reasearch-a-Model' at the bottom of the page and download it for free]. The manual is over 32Mb so it may take a little while on dail-up. Inside you will find excellent exploded views and the necessary steps to get to the dampers. Good luck!

https://www.vancebaldwin.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEARCH&mrpn=TBASD9200

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.