Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

DMR-ES15 Poor CD Sound!

So I'm looking to mate this Panasonic unit with my Adcom GFA-555 II/Denon PRA-1500/Thiel CS3.5 setup for 2 channel DVD-A playback, as well as CD. The plain CD playback is pathetic! I played a recording I know intimately, Arrau's Nocturnes, the sound was totally thin and unappealing--no depth, no emotion, back on went the Toshiba 3980. These Thiels are very revealing.

Can I expect similarly poor performance for DVD-A playback? My current plan has the 3980 set up for plain CDs, as a result, and this unit for 2 channel DVD-A playback, but I'm wondering if I should even bother getting DVD-As (I currently don't have any w/ both 6ch and 2 ch).

My plan was to get 6 channel DVD-A discs that also had 2 channel versions. I could play the 6 channels on my Panny CP-72/Definitive Technology Surround system for casual listening and the 2 channel track for critical listening on my "good" system. The 2 channel output on my CP-72 is taken.

Can I expect 2 ch. DVD-A playback on this unit to be as bad as CD playback? One would guess they share a bit of circuitry. Any cheapie good sounding CD/DVD-A players out there?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - DMR-ES15 Poor CD Sound! - lukiedog 06:00:24 01/30/07 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.