Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Frustrations of a New DVD Audio Convert

Since my posting on 1/14/07, I have received numerous suggestions in this forum on quality DVD-A and DAD discs (much appreciate) and have purchased a small selection. My conclusion: In many (but not all) cases), the sonics are superior to that of SACDs. But my excitement has been greatly reduced due to two major areas of frustration.

First, there is simply not as many DVD-A and DAD titles available as there are on SACD. This is particularly true in my areas of interest -- pop standards, jazz/vocals and classical music.

Second, and even more frustrating to a committed two-channel stereo user, I have had great difficulty in toggling my system from the Multi-channel default option to the Stereo alternative. From a user-friendly point of view, I resent having to involve the TV in the process at all. But more to the point, even using the TV, I have encountered confusing and conflicting processes for getting from Multi-channel to Stereo play back. On some discs, it's simply a question of toggling down on the main menu provided directly off the disc. But on a few, there is no such option, and I am forced to improvise with a variety of choices using the CD player remote, e.g. "Menu", "Top Menu", "Audio", etc. in order to creat a player- driven menu on the TV screen. On one disc (Chanteclair on Teldec), neither of these approaches worked, although MC and Stereo were both specified as available, so that my choice was Multichannel or nothing -- I had to return the disc. In contrast, I really like some of the material available on DAD, and these discs start right up in Stereo mode.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something? Or is DVD-A loosing out to SACD, despite superior sonics, simply because it's too complex to set-up? Whatever you think about SACDs, all you need do is simply put them in the tray and push the Play button like the CDs we are all familiar with.

Pete

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Frustrations of a New DVD Audio Convert - Pete Watt 10:06:32 01/23/07 (26)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.