Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Listening to two DVD-Audios: Bach/St. Matthew Passion/Harnoncourt (Teldec) and Mozart/Figaro (Naxos)

*** The other cheaper Panny players say the ** same thing ** regarding TA. I simply don’t believe that all the TA processing extends to hirez-DVD-Audio. You need real horsepower to do that. You don’t get something for nothing. And the Panny’s simply don’t have the horsepower. [or tell me where the heck it is then?!]. In short, they must be cutting corners. And the manual itself reeks of Japanese-to-English dumbed-down techno-twaddle. ***

What makes you think time alignment require a lot of horsepower? All it requires is a memory buffer. And what makes you think the player doesn't have enough horsepower? How would you know? Just because it doesn't have a SHARC? Do you think a player that can do DPLII (which require reasonable processing power) would somehow run out of steam managing a memory buffer?

And in future, I would suggest you keep your racist comments to yourself. I thought the manual was reasonably readable.

*** Of course they would say that. And indeed they can easily downsample the stereo from hires DVDA to 44.1 or 48lkHz for DPLII. And I note they don’t give a freq response spec for the DVD-A - to - DPLII conversion!! ***

Ahh, I see. No facts, just opinion and innuendo.

*** Density & resonant frequencies ARE related. Unless my university professor got it all wrong. ;-) Anyway, with respect, I’ll take REL’s word over yours. Thank you. ***

As you wish. Hint: why does REL recommend corner placement? Is it because reflections reinforce bass? In that case, wouldn't it be logical for them to recommend the most reflective material, rather than the least? Think about it. You can't have it both ways: a non reflective room, but strong bass from corner positioning (which requires reflection).

*** Hey — It could have been precisely because of the AL24, that the player sounded even more "gorgeous" than it would otherwise have done! :-) ***

It could be. Or perhaps it may sound even better without.

*** Oh yes? But I’m still waiting for your detailed review then! No excuse now. ;-) ***

Why should I review it? It's my friend's player. I only review review samples supplied by the distributor when asked to do so, not random players.

But I can tell you we have compared the two players side by side. And after that my friend bought a Panasonic as well. I will let you draw your own conclusions from that.

In fact I think he bought two (he got scared when my RP82 broke down). But then, he can afford it, if you think my amps are overkill you don't want to know how much he has spent on amps (think Class A 400 watts monoblocks, which he has now traded for something even more obscenely expensive. However, he said he liked my A5s so much he's thinking of trading down to them, but he was worried that they were too inexpensive. I said to him, just bi-amp everything and spend twice the money :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread

You can not post to an archived thread.