Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Thanks For Sharing Your Experiences

Robert,

I have the following recordings of Dvorak Symphonies (mainly the New World) on SACD:

Fischer / Budapest Festival Orch on Philips
Bernstein / NY Phil on Sony
Kreizberg / Netherlands Phil on Pentatone
Szell / Cleveland Orch on Sony

Haven't heard any of these for a while, but my initial impression was that I liked the Macal / Czech Phil performance on Exton more than I liked these four (in the New World anyway). However, I have not heard the Reiner recording on SACD yet, and Reiner's has always been one of my favorite renditions for its combination of intensity, orchestral playing, and engineering. So, needless to say, I'm looking forward to hearing the Reiner in its new incarnation!

Your question about SACD versions of the Dvorak Symphonies prompts me to think about making a list of my favorite SACD's. This might be interesting, because the list would be more from a DVD-Audiophile's perspective! It would be less interesting however in that many of my choices would tend to be the conventional favorites already praised by other posters (e.g., the Living Stereo and Living Presence reissues, a lot of the Pentatones, etc.)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks For Sharing Your Experiences - Chris from Lafayette 18:37:44 08/29/05 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.