Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Your impressions of DVD-A vs. SACD....

Christine,

Yes – you’re right about the main source component I’m using: a DV47ai universal player connected to a 55txi receiver via IEEE 1394. For anyone else who wants to check, my systems are listed here on the Asylum.

But my 55txi receiver has a setup option for SACD direct mode, which I employ, and which (quoting from the manual) “allows you to enjoy 1-bit DSD high-quality sound directly from an SACD component, bypassing the [receiver’s] DSP circuitry”. (The DV47ai player has a DSD chip and does not convert DSD to PCM.)

You’re also right that I have a Sony SACD player, which used to be connected to my main system, but which has now been pressed into service in my computer room system.

I’ve heard each format through dedicated players for their respective formats, as well as the two Firewire-connected components I now do most of my listening on. I agree with Harry that source components could influence how one perceives the qualities of each format.

BTW, I liked your capsule descriptions of the two hi-rez formats in one of your previous posts (SACD “clean and clear”, DVD-A “clean and crisp”). I might be tempted to give it a little different emphasis: SACD “clean and smooth”, DVD-A “clean and clear”. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.